The Palm House 1877 - Adelaide Botanic Garden South Australia
Opened in 1877, restored in 1995
An exquisite restored Victorian glasshouse imported from Bremen in Germany in 1875 and thought to be the only one of its kind extant in the world. Features a display of Madagascan arid flora.
Imported from Bremen, Germany in 1875 by the second Director Dr Richard Schomburgk, the Palm House was opened in 1877 and has been a focus in the Adelaide Botanic Garden since that time.
It was designed by German architect Gustav Runge, the sophisticated engineering techniques used in its construction making it a benchmark in glasshouse design.
The hanging glass walls are similar to those used in modern city buildings today and were very advanced for the time. This sophistication and Adelaide's dry climate probably account for the Palm House's survival with a remarkably high degree of originality. via www.environment.sa.gov.au/botanicgardens/gardens/adelaide...