identifier W.805.000005|date 2012-03-06|creator The Walters Art Museum (Baltimore/MD/USA)|contributor Walters Art Museum curatorial staff and researchers since 1934|contributor Herbert, Lynley|contributor Noel, William|contributor Bockrath, Diane|contributor Bockrath, Diane|contributor Dutschke, Consuelo|contributor Emery, Doug|contributor Hamburger, Jeffrey|contributor Noel, William|contributor Sciacca, Christine |contributor Tabritha, Ariel|contributor Toth, Michael B.|contributor Valle, Chiara|contributor Owen, Linda|contributor Quandt, Abigail|format image/tiff|description This is an image of folio 1r from Walters Ms. W.805, Bible (part), on parchment, Dated February 2, 1507|rights Licensed for use under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported Access Rights, creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/legalcode. It is requested that copies of any published articles based on the information in this data set be sent to the curator of manuscripts, The Walters Art Museum, 600 North Charles Street, Baltimore MD 21201.|source Walters Art Museum Ms. W.805, folio 1r|title Walters Ms. W.805, Bible (part)|type Image|subject Book|subject Christian|subject Codex|subject Colophon|subject Illumination|subject Manuscript|subject Miniature|subject Scripture|subject Walters Art Museum|subject German|subject Gothic|subject Bible|subject Germany|subject Original binding|subject Binding|subject Historiated initial|subject 16th century|subject Latin
This large-scale manuscript contains the first eight Old Testament books, Genesis through Ruth. The date of completion is given, February 2, 1507. The illumination of the Creation within a cosmographic scheme is based in part on the woodcut illustrations of Creation in the 1483 Koberger Bible, and the 1493 Nuremberg Chronicle by the same printer. Large historiated initials mark the beginning of each book. This large format form of the bible was revived in the low countries and Rhineland in the mid fifteenth century, and later in the century they were being made in south east Germany and Bohemia. The style of the miniatures in this manuscript is typical of upper Austrian miniature painting of the later fifteenth century.