Illuminated Manuscript, Koran, Double-page illuminated frontispiece, Walters Art Museum, Ms W.743, fol. 1b
This illuminated copy of the Qur'an was written in naskh script in Istanbul (al-Qusṭanṭinīyah) in 1269 AH / 1853 CE by Muḥammad Ṣāliḥ ibn ʿUmar, a pupil of Amīn al-Bahjat (Behcet). According to the colophon (fol. 257b), the manuscript was finished in Ramaḍān 1269 AH / 1853 CE. The scribe states that he was born in Kūmuljunah (Gümülcine, Komotini in northeastern Greece) and resided in the Madrasat Mulāzimlar, in the vicinity of Ḥammām Sulaymānīyah in al-Qusṭanṭinīyah. The manuscript opens with a double-page illuminated frontispiece of Sūrat al-fātiḥah and the beginning of Sūrat al-baqarah. There are two finispieces: a colophon (misbound at fol. 257b) and a final prayer (fol. 305a). Other illuminated elements include chapter headings and verse markers in the form of illuminated disks and rosettes.