#449 turn off cell phones
Kantō Plain railway operators have standardized on the following rules.
• Power off in the vicinity of courtesy/priority seats—just in case someone has a pacemaker, insulin pump, or other microcontroller medical device
• Silent "manner" mode—no ring tones—in other sections
No such rules in North America. Fellow train passengers provide free entertainment and intimate details of their private lives.
• 優先席(yūsenseki) = "priority seat"
• 携帯電話(keitai denwa) = "cell phone"
• 電源(dengen) = "power [supply]"