MBTA Fare Evasion Scheme Arrest Press Conference
On Thursday, May 19, 2011, Attorney General Coakley announced that employee of an MBTA subcontractor had been arrested in connection with an alleged scheme to illegally produce millions of dollars worth of MBTA monthly passes and sell them directly to riders. The investigation was initially conducted by the MBTA and MBTA Transit Police. It was then referred to the Suffolk County District Attorney’s Office. Due to subcontractors location in Essex County, the investigation was brought to the Attorney General’s Public Integrity Unit. The investigation began in March of 2011 after an alert conductor on the Massachusetts Bay Commuter Rail (MBCR) noticed a pass that appeared different in color. The passenger told the conductor the pass had gone through the laundry and said that he had purchased the pass on Craigslist. The conductor confiscated the pass and turned it over to the MBTA Transit Police. Further investigation showed that despite opening electronic gates, the printed serial number in the MBTA database did not show the card ever being activated. The MBTA soon discovered hundreds of similar passes in use by passengers.
Attorney General Coakley was joined for this announcement by MBTA Executive Director Richard Davey, Transit Police Chief Paul MacMillan, and members of the AG’s Public Integrity Unit.