South Australian critters
The South Australian Railways relied on just three loco types for its shunting and branch line duties, a representative of all three being lined up at Mile End loco depot on 5 August 1987, though by this time ownership had passed to the federally owned Australian National.
502 was built by the SAR's own workshops at Islington in 1964 and powered by an English Electric 4SRKT engine rated at 500hp.
804 was built by English Electric at Rocklea,Queensland in 1956 and powered by an English Electric 6SRKT engine rated at 750hp.
844 was built by AE Goodwing,Sydney under licence to ALCo in 1962 and powered by an ALCo 251B engine rated at 900hp.