new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white

MONTERONGRIFFOLI....le due " luci " a San Giovanni d'Asso in Toscana

San Giovanni d'Asso è un comune italiano di 901 abitanti della provincia di Siena in Toscana. Sorge al centro delle Crete Senesi lungo il torrente Asso, da cui prende il nome.

Le origini dell'abitato di San Giovanni d'Asso sono antichissime: infatti, recentemente, sono state ritrovate in località Pava, lungo la strada che unisce il paese a Lucignano d'Asso e a Torrenieri, dei resti di una pieve, appunto la pieve di Santa Maria di Pava risalente al V-VI secolo d.C.[3]. Nel medioevo iniziò a nascere il vero e proprio paese: già nel 714[4] è documentata l'esistenza della chiesa di San Pietro in Villore e, fino al 1178, il paese fu conteso fra il vescovo di Arezzo e quello di Siena, che poi ebbe la meglio. Inoltre, nelXIII secolo, fu costruita la rocca, notevolmente ampliata dai Petroni nel 1313 e poi successivamente trasformata in grancia dallo Spedale di Santa Maria della Scala di Siena che ne aveva assunto la proprietà. Un'altra importante data nella storia di questo paese è il 2 giugno 1777: infatti è in questo giorno che il paese divenne ufficialmente comune dapprima con sole tre frazioni (Lucignano d'Asso, Monterongriffoli e Vergelle), poi anche con quelle di Montisi e Montelifrè che, in origine, erano state assegnate alla più vicina Trequanda.

  

the two "lights" in San Giovanni d'Asso in Tuscany

San Giovanni d'Asso is an Italian town of 901 inhabitants in the province of Siena in Tuscany. Located in the center of the Crete Senesi along the river Ace, from which it takes its name.

The origins of the town of San Giovanni d'Asso are ancient: in fact, recently, have been found in area Pava, along the road connecting the village to Lucignano d'Asso and Torrenieri, the remains of a church, in fact the parish church of Santa Maria in Pava dating from the fifth and sixth centuries AD. [3] In the Middle Ages began to rise to the real country: already in 714 [4] has documented the existence of the church of San Pietro in Villore and, until 1178, the town was contested between the bishop of Arezzo to Siena, which then prevailed. In addition, nelXIII century, the fortress was built, greatly expanded by Petroni in 1313 and subsequently transformed into grange by the Hospital of Santa Maria della Scala in Siena who had taken ownership. Another important date in the history of this country is June 2, 1777: it is on this day that the country officially became common at first with only three fractions (Lucignano d'Asso, Monterongriffoli and Vergelle), then also with those of Montisi and Montelifrè that originally had been assigned to the nearest Trequanda.

1,790 views
5 faves
120 comments
Taken on September 7, 2012