Thanksgiving Pecan Pie
This is a close up of one of the pecan pies I made this past Thanksgiving holiday. I tried something new this year, a recipe that called for pure maple syrup instead of the regular "Caro" corn syrup. Well, the pie tasted really good, but I think it was too crumbly and didn't stick together like it should - I guess because pure maple syrup isn't as "gooey" as the old fashioned "Caro" syrup.
Below is the recipe I used; but I would recommend changing the ingredients to 1/2 maple syrup and 1/2 Caro syrup...that's what I'm going to try next time I make this pie. I think the filling will hold together better, but you'll still have that real maple syrup flavor. :-)
Pecan Pie with Maple Syrup
"The maple syrup gives this pecan pie a distinctive flavor."
•1 and 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
•1/2 teaspoon salt
•1/2 cup shortening, chilled and diced
•3 tablespoons ice water
•2 teaspoons butter
•1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
•3 eggs, beaten
•1 cup real maple syrup
•1/2 cup white sugar
•1/3 cup butter, melted
•1 teaspoon vanilla extract
•1/2 teaspoon salt
1. In a medium bowl, mix together flour and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Using a pastry blender or two knives, cut half of the shortening into flour mixture, until fine crumbs form. Cut in remaining shortening until coarse crumbs form. Add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, tossing with fork until a dough forms. Shape dough into a disk and wrap in plastic wrap; chill for 30 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
3. On a floured surface, using a floured rolling pin, roll dough into an 11-inch circle. Fit dough into a 9-in quiche dish. Trim edges.
4. In a heavy skillet, melt 2 tablespoons butter over low heat. Add nuts and stir for about 5 minutes, or until nuts begin to color. Let cool for 10 minutes.
5. Mix together beaten egg, maple syrup, sugar, 1/3 cup melted butter, vanilla, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Stir in nuts. Pour filling into crust. Place halved pecans on top. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until filling is set. Transfer pan to wire rack and cool.
This photo is in 1 gallery
- Thanksgiving Images 17 photos