Fernland Historical Park - Crane Cabin
The Crane cabin was built in 1867 in Angelina County (Texas county that Lufkin, Texas is located in) by Confederate Civil War veteran Nickolas Crane, who had moved to Texas from Alabama in 1848. The walls are pine logs left rounded on the exterior and hand-adzed for a flat smooth finish on the interior walls. Moved from Angelina County to Montgomery County and restored by B. Carroll and Mae Tharp in 1974. Many of the buildings that were moved to the Fernland Historical Park were donated to the Sam Houston University by Carroll and Mae Tharp. What started out as an effort to find a storage building for his property in Montgomery County, Texas, quickly turned into a project to save examples of early architecture. Mr. & Mrs. Tharp spent the next 20 years painstakingly locating, moving and restoring these buildings. Mr. Tharp, a trained preservation architect and a former board member of the National Trust for Historic Preservation, took great care to ensure authenticity in the restoration of all of the structures. In 1991, the Tharps donated the buildings and original site to Sam Houston State University. Due to the remote location of the buildings, it was decided that the buildings should be moved to a more appropriate site so that they can be enjoyed by the public. Hence, through a joint effort between Fernland Inc., The City of Montgomery and Sam Houston University, a new park has been established within the downtown area of the City of Montgomery, known as Fernland Historical Park.