Bill Boucauts lending library
During World War Two, the son of the Mallala doctor started a lending library using his own books. The proceeds went to raise funds for the Schools Patriotic Fund. At a time when few children had the opportunity to purchase their own books, this was a valuable service.
The Schools Patriotic Fund was an organisation which commenced in 1940 and encouraged children to raise money for the war effort. All over the state individual children from isolated homsteads,small groups in tiny settlements and in metropolitan and country schools raised an amount which totalled £402,133 7shillings 4pence.
There was a great deal of ingenuity shown by the children for the means used to raise the money with opportunity often the deciding factor. Where commercial enterprises took place the collecting of cement bags and bags of bones was the way to go for country children.
In August 1941 when The S.P.F. hostel, which was built to accommodate 160 men of the 3 fighting services, was opened by the Govenor Sir Malcolm Barclay-Harvey he acknowledged the S.P.F. contribution of £9,500 and the great work that made a dream possible.