new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
Maldon, Moot Hall | by Clanger's England
Back to group

Maldon, Moot Hall

Tower house, now town council premises. Early-mid C15; remodelled internally late C18-early C19; parapet, top of stair turret and north-west angle of rear range rebuilt c1900. For Sir Robert D'arcy (1358-1448); acquired by Borough Council, 1576. Red brick in English bond, walls at least 2ft thick; lead roof. PLAN: two intersecting rectangles, the rear range attached to the north-west corner of the front range, and may be an addition. Octagonal crenellated stair turret to north-east angle of front range, internally cylindrical. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys with vaulted cellar to rear range, partly below ground. To High Street the ground floor has been faced in Gault brick; entrance has pair of doors in round-arched reveals under gauged brick arches with patterned fanlights; blind central recess; boot scraper; tetrastyle Doric portico has late C19 iron balustrade with pair of lamps. To 1st floor a pair of full-height round-arched sashes with glazing bars and radial gazing in the heads, one of which gives access to the balcony. Central plaque recording installation of clock on iron bracket in 1881. 20-pane sash to 2nd floor. Rear elevation of main range: ground floor partly concealed by later additions. 12x4 pivoting window with chamfered jambs off trunctated single light below. 1st floor has 16-pane sash under gauged brick arch. 12-pane sash to 2nd floor. Sash window to east and west elevations of 2nd floor. Added stack to west wall. Rear elevation of rear range: ground floor is cement rendered and lined out. Barred rectangular window to 1st floor. 2nd floor round-arched sash with glazing bars and radial glazing in head. North-east elevation of rear range: 1st floor 2-light chamfered-brick-mullioned window, completely renewed. West elevation rear range: 2 inserted rectangular lights to 1st floor. 2 arched lights to 2nd floor, one of which is 4-centred and chamfered. Rectangular slit windows to stair turret. Timber bellcage under shingled spirelet of 1881 to rear range. No.39 High Street: shop, formerly part of the Moot Hall; c1440. Part red English-bond brick and part rendered timber-frame with gabled plain tile roof. 3 storeys; single-window range; with 2-storey C19 rear extension. Front is rendered with parapet. 2nd floor has a C19 nine-pane sash window. 1st floor has similar but wider window, partly obscured and now only showing 8 panes. Late C19 shop front of hardwood with deep projecting fascia on brackets and band of rectangular leaded lights over plain shop front with brick stall-riser and recessed entrance. As first built in early-mid C15, it had a brick west flank (shared with Moot Hall proper), a recessed brick front elevation and a brick angled rear wall contiguous to the Moot Hall stair tower. This rear wall had narrow windows on ground- and (original) 1st-floor level with chamfered jambs. The west flank wall has a brick straight joint near its south end at 1st-floor level only, marking the springing of the original brick front wall. The east flank consists of a 2-storey timber-framed wall of c1400... LBO

761 views
0 faves
0 comments
Taken on June 5, 2012