new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
Lincoln, Subdeanery | by Clanger's England
Back to photostream

Lincoln, Subdeanery

Precentory, now subdeanery and offices. C13 and C14, with C17 additions. Remodelled and extended 1827. Refronted 1873 by J L Pearson. A Roman hypocaust and mosaic pavement were found on the site in the C18, and remain in situ. Dressed stone and brick, with stucco east front, ashlar dressings and plain tile roofs, with 4 gable and single ridge and side wall stacks. EXTERIOR: sill band, 2 string courses, eaves band, coped parapet and gables to north and east fronts. 2 and 3 storeys, 3 bays. L-plan. North front has steps in the return angle to the right, with a moulded four-centred arched doorway with hoodmould, sidelights and overlight. Above it, a 4-light stone mullioned cross casement. To the left, a square bay window, 2 storeys, with a similar 4-light window on each floor. East front has a wooden doorcase with cornice and recessed 6-panel door, flanked to right by a glazing bar sash. Above, 3 glazing bar sashes. To the left, a square stair tower with parapet, with single light windows on the lower floors and a cross casement above. South side has two fronts, 2 and 3 storeys, 3 bays, with glazing bar casements. INTERIOR No.18A has partly panelled entrance hall, late C17, with wooden fireplace and overmantel and moulded beams. First floor room with similar fielded panelling. In the basement a section of Roman tessellated pavement approx. 1 x 1.5m, and a medieval cistern. Towards the rear, a Roman hypocaust reached by a stone winder stair in a stone lined round arched stairwell. At the foot of the stairs, a segment arched recess opposite a round arched brick firehole. The hypocaust, approx. 10m x 5m, has square brick columns carrying a terracotta floor. EH Listing

96 views
0 faves
0 comments
Taken on December 28, 2017