The First Boys "Curling Club" in Scotland
The Wanlockhead School Curling Club was inaugurated on 10th November 1883 after a meeting held in the village school. All the boys attending Wanlockhead school were eligible to be members. Eighteen members joined in the first year and by 1910 membership had risen to 27. During its fifty years of active life the club would play with four to six rinks of boys.
John Edmond, the Schoolmaster of Wanlockhead School, provided many of the prizes that the boys completed for and placed the boys game on a steady footing. The club thrived from the start and was popular winter sport for the boys.
The first boys 'Curling Club' in Scotland aroused the interest of the Royal Caledonian Curling Club whose Chaplin wrote in 1908 for an account of the club and photograph of its members.
In 1913, at the 30th anniversary of the founding of the club, Archibald Fraser presented the club with a silver rose bowl, which became know as the Fraser Rose Bowel. This trophy was played for every year and was the top prize in the game of boys curling.
At Peterskyehead Dam the teachers and others helped to build a curling house for curling stones which would keep them safe from vandalism suffered in the past. When the windows were broken, two boys were appointed as keepers of the curling house and pond.
In 1934 the lead mines closed and a large number of families left the village seeking work elsewhere. The Boys Curling, as well as other clubs and societies in the village, suffered from lack of members and in October of 1951 the club called it a day.
This photo is part of a collection of old pictures of winters in Wanlockhead and Leadhills, Scotland's two highest villages on the Lowther Hills, Southern Uplands. Read more at: www.lowtherhills.com/winter