Pero's Bridge St Augustine's reach Bristol
Pedestrian bascule bridge that spans St Augustine's Reach in Bristol Harbour.
Composed of three spans, the outer two are fixed and the central section can be raised to allow tall boats to pass along the floating harbour. The pair of horn-shaped sculptures act as counterweights for the lifting section.
The Bridge is named after Pero Jones, an enslaved African who came to live in Bristol. In 1765, at the age of just 12, Pero Jones was bought by wealthy slave plantation owner and sugar merchant, John Pinney, to work on his plantation in Nevis. In 1784 he accompanied the Pinney family in their move from Nevis to Bristol, Pero was personal servant to John Pinney and served for 32 years. The bridge was named in commemoration of one slave who lived and died in the city.