Lincoln in the soybeans
Commonly known as the "Moss Monuments", a pair of Lincoln busts face out onto the Lincoln Highway in a bend in the road, one east, one north, near Scranton, Iowa. The pair are on concrete pedestals with "J.E. Moss" and a Lincoln Highway "L" cast into them, and were first placed by Moss when the Greene County portion of the Lincoln Highway was paved in 1924. Moss, a Civil War veteran and great admirer of Abraham Lincoln, donated land for the Lincoln Highway under the agreement that he could place the two markers at each end the curve.
The markers were severely vandalized in the 1950's. Many years later, one one of the heads was found in nearby Jefferson. That head was used to make molds to repair the busts. Restored in 2001, twenty-three descendants of J.E. Moss came from across the country to see the restored markers and take part in their rededication.