Sheung Shui Hong Kong 3rd August 1981
Sunset over the British lower quadrant semaphore signals on the Kowloon-Canton Railway.
We took an evening train from Hung Hom on the British Section of the KCR into the New Territories to Sheung Shui station - the last station before the Chinese border which was on the other side of the mountain.
Our train was hauled, nose first, by EMD 1125hp G12B number 55 built by Clyde Engineering in Sydney in 1957, and here she stands at Sheung Shui after arrival. The station is still open but the KCR is now part of the MRT system known as East Rail. One of these locomotives, number 51, has been preserved at the Hong Kong Railway Museum in Tai Po.