The East Riding Scarborough North Yorkshire 14th April 2012
After coming off the East Riding steam railtour at Scarborough station British Railways Standard 4-6-2 70013 Oliver Cromwell dropped back about half a mile to the south for servicing on the site of the old North Eastern Railway locoshed, BR shedcode 50E. The main line from Scarborough station (left) to York (right) is behind.
Opened in 1881, the shed closed to steam in 1963 but continued to provide servicing for visiting locos until the end of steam on the North Eastern Region of BR in 1967. The original turntable was scrapped when the shed was razed in the early 1970s but Scarborough Council funded this replacement in 1981 when the Scarborough Spa Expresses began running on a regular basis.
70013's tender is being filled from the pipe that runs from the shed's original Braithwaite water storage tank on the slope to the right.
A 1966 image by Alan Papworth of the turntable site with the tank behind can be seen at page1.scarboroughrailwaysociety.org.uk/#0.31