Hong Kong Kowloon Station 3rd August 1981
Looking for all the world like Nottingham Victoria in 1968, only the clock tower remained of the 1914 Victoria (Tsim Sha Tsui) Terminus of the Kowloon-Canton Railway (KCR) after demolition of the main buildings in 1977. Hong Kong island rises up to Victoria Peak in the background (so the comparison with Nottingham falls apart a bit at this point!) although with a few less high-rise towers than today.
A preservation campaign was organised in the late 1970s and even a petition to the Queen failed to save the beautiful station building. In 1975, Kowloon Station was moved to the present-day Hung Hom Station on the newly reclaimed Hung Hom Bay. The clock tower, officially named "Former Kowloon-Canton Railway Clock Tower", is now a floodlit feature of the area around the Hong Kong Space Museum, Hong Kong Museum of Art and Hong Kong Cultural Centre, all built on the former station land.
The opening of the MTR (Mass Transit Railway) system in 1979, the rapid development throughout the New Territories and the merger with the MTR has relegated the KCR to just being part of the metro network and the section from the new Tsim Sha Tsui station is now known as East Rail.