Chausat Yogini temple - Jabalpur
Situated near the famous Marble Rocks in Jabalpur MP, Chausath Yogini temple complex is an open sky circular courtyard atop a hill. It is dedicated to Goddess Durga. Right in circular fashion is a row of idols of attendants of Goddess Durga called Yoginis. Lord Shiva temple is in the center. The lawa stone idols were plundered and disfigured by Moghul invaders.
Chausath Yogini temple complex are ruins of ancient dynasties that ruled Jabalpur. The temple in the center dedicated to Lord Shiva and his consort Goddess Parvati was built by the Kalchuri dynasty in the 10th century AD. The idols of Yoginis are exquisitely carved and exhibit marvelous iconography in spite of being disfigured by the Moghul invaders. There are in total sixty four statues, but most of them have been plundered.
About hundred and fifty steps lead to the complex which dates back to 1000 AD. The courtyard offers panoramic view of the Gorge at River Narmada and the surrounding landscape. The Gond Rulers of Central India were regular visitors to the complex during their rule. An inscription commemorating the visit of Gond Queen Durgavati can be seen in the sanctorum. A short distance from Marble Rocks, one can easily visit and observe the marvelous complex while on tour. Most of the visitors to Marble Rocks and Dhuandhar Falls visit the Chausath Yogini Temple.