St. Giles, Calke, Derbyshire
The Anglican parish church in Calke is dedicated to Saint Giles. The earliest reference to a church on this site is in 1129 when it was seized from Calke Priory by the Abbot of Chester. The church (possibly originally dedicated to St. Mary) and the village of Calke itself were founded just before 1100 by Harold de Leke and given to his new foundation of Calke Augustinian Priory, one of the first Augustinian houses in England. St. Giles was the parish church of Calke until 1834 but is now a private manorial chapel, owned by The National Trust, yet still a consecrated church used for occasional services. The church is the nave of the medieval church which was reduced in size during a restoration in the 1570's although what can be seen today is mainly the result of the 1827-9 restoration by Sir George Crewe who felt that the church had deteriorated to a point of being unworthy of God's service.