Church of the Good Shepherd, Lake Tekapo, New Zealand
Perhaps the most photographed church in New Zealand this church is a memorial to the pioneers of the Mackenzie Country. Standing on the shore of Lake Tekapo it's surroundings have been left in their natural state covered with matagouri, tussock and rock. For years church services were held at the various station homesteads in the Mackenzie Country. In 1933 some residents wrote the Anglican Vestry, Reverend W.E.D. Davies, asking for a church to be built and backed their suggestion with generous promises of money and land. Mr George Murray of Braemar Station, donated the land and the foundation stone was laid by the Duke of Gloucester in January 1935. Seven months later the church was dedicated. Built to last from lakeside stone and oak it has clear plate glass window to allow a view of the stunningly blue lake which can just be seen in this shot.