Some 6 miles south of Lincoln by the side of the road to Sleaford, and now partially hidden by trees, stands a relic of the past in the form of Dunston Pillar. Standing 92ft high it was erected by the order of Sir Francis Dashwood MP, of Nocton Hall in 1751. For many years it was surmounted by a 15ft high beacon as a guide for travellers crossing heath which at that time was not only uncultivated, but had no proper roads across it. Dashwood was founder of the notorious Hellfire Club and numerous stories abound about the intended use of the Pillar. In 1810, when a turnpike road was made across the heath, the beacon was removed by order of the Earl of Buckingham who replaced it with a statue of King George III to celebrate the King's Golden Jubilee. Unfortunately the mason, John Wilson, fell to his death whilst erecting it. In 1940 the statue was removed as a danger to low flying aircraft from Coleby Heath and Waddington. Although damaged the statue is stored at Lincoln Castle, the bust of King George III from it is, however, on displayed in Lincoln Castle grounds and can be seen here.
This photo also appears in
keyboard shortcuts: ← previous photo → next photo L view in light box F favorite < scroll film strip left > scroll film strip right ? show all shortcuts