All Saints, Greetwell, Lincolnshire

Two miles east of Lincoln, at Greetwell, is a little church of white brick and ironstone, dedicated to All Saints. Many people don't know it exists for it is hidden in an hollow at the bottom of what looks like a road to a farm but what is in fact an ancient hall. The church, which was thoroughly repaired in 1855-6, has a Saxon Tower & a Norman apse, the floral stone font is a bit too good to be believed but the humps and bumps in the field leading down to the River Witham together with an ancient memorial stone let into the north wall of the apse restore confidence in the antique holiness of this little church which has seating for only 36 souls.

3,489 views
5 faves
16 comments
Taken on September 11, 2006