Day 17: Firefox 3
June 20, 2008
Mozilla has released Firefox 3. And while it is noticeably faster and sports an interesting new look, I was really looking forward to it because finally a version of Firefox would support color profiles! It is frustrating to upload photos and find they look nothing like what you saved them as (even when using the web-standard sRGB color profile). Safari had the color profile support from the start - I don't know what took Mozilla so long. And apparently, in their wisdom, the default setting for this support is "off." Imagine my surprise (and further frustration), until I figured out how to turn it on.
For those interested (and I don't know why anyone wouldn't want this turned on), to enable Firefox 3 color profile management:
• enter "about:config" in the Firefox address bar
• click "I'll be careful, I promise" button
• type "gfx.color" in the filter field to limit its display to relevant entries.
• double click gfx.color_management.enabled entry to change the value to true
• restart Firefox
• voilà! colors the way they were supposed to look.