184_2545 Parliament House
Parliament House is situated on Capital Hill just South of Lake Burley Griffin. It can be seen by its flag raised upon 4 legs towering over the building, and is a recent extension of Burley Griffin's vision for Canberra. It was designed by Romaldo Gieurgola, an Italian, and built in 1988 costing $1.1 billion. In order to preserve the shape of the hill, on which it is built, it was constructed into the top of the hill with the roof being grassed over.
The building axis runs from North to East and South to West, and is situated perfectly inline with Old Parliament House, the Australian War Memorial and Mt. Ainslie.
Old Parliament House is situated between Parliament House and Lake Burley Griffin. Although it was initially built as a temporary parliament house, government stayed there from 1927 right up until 1988.