["The Pavilion," Stephen Hyatt Pelham Pell house, Fort Ticonderoga, New York. (LOC)

Johnston, Frances Benjamin,, 1864-1952,, photographer.

 

["The Pavilion," Stephen Hyatt Pelham Pell house, Fort Ticonderoga, New York. Pathway in walled garden]

 

[1927 August]

 

1 photograph : glass lantern slide, hand-colored ; 3.25 x 4 in.

 

Notes:

Site History. Landscape: Walls and tea house designed by Alfred Charles Bossom, 1910; Marion Cruger Coffin, 1920-1926, flower garden on the site of Le Jardin du Roi. Associated Name: Sarah Thompson (Mrs. Stephen H.P.) Pell. Today: Overall form and structures survive.

On slide (printed): "Edward Van Altena" and "71-79 West 45th Street, New York, N.Y.C."

Title, date, and subject information provided by Sam Watters, 2011.

Photograph shows walled flower garden with sign: "The King's Garden. This garden was started in 1757 by Captain de Pontieroy of the French Army, Chief of Engineers to the Marquis de Montcalm and named Le Jardin du Roi."

Forms part of: Garden and historic house lecture series in the Frances Benjamin Johnston Collection (Library of Congress).

Published in Gardens for a Beautiful America / Sam Watters. New York: Acanthus Press, 2012. Plate 43.

 

Subjects:

Gardens--New York (State)--Fort Ticonderoga--1920-1930.

Flowers--New York (State)--Fort Ticonderoga--1920-1930.

Garden walls--New York (State)--Fort Ticonderoga--1920-1930.

Fort Ticonderoga (N.Y.)--1920-1930.

 

Format: Lantern slides--Hand-colored--1920-1930.

 

Rights Info: No known restrictions on publication.

 

Repository: Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division, Washington, D.C. 20540 USA, hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print

 

Higher resolution image is available (Persistent URL): hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/ppmsca.16258

 

Call Number: LC-J717-X100- 49

 

 

5,076 views
9 faves
0 comments
Taken sometime in 1927