Do you suppose this was a commentary on how life in the big city made people feel? (LOC)
This is one of the featured photos in the “Not an Ostrich” exhibition currently on display in Los Angeles, California. Read more about it in our recent Picture This blog post, “Not an Ostrich”—Exhibition of Library of Congress Photos.”
Phelan, A. B., photographer
[Reclining man looming over New York City subway station]
1 photograph : gelatin silver print ; sheet 16 x 11 cm.
Summary: Montage photograph shows gigantic man in suit and bowler hat superimposed over street scene.
- Exhibited as a digital copy in: "Not an Ostrich: And Other Images from America's Library" at the Annenberg Space for Photography, 2018; Photographers section.
- Title devised by Library staff.
- Subway stations--New York (State)--New York--1900-1920.
- Hallucinations & illusions--1900-1920.
- Photographic prints--1900-1920.
Rights Info: No known restrictions on publication.
Repository: Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division, Washington, D.C. 20540 USA, hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print
Higher resolution image is available (Persistent URL):
Call Number: LOT 3299