Start of Fred. Scherer & Walter Wiley (LOC)

    Newer Older

    Bain News Service,, publisher.

    Start of Fred. Scherer & Walter Wiley

    [1913 May 3]

    1 negative : glass ; 5 x 7 in. or smaller.

    Notes:
    Title from data provided by the Bain News Service on the negative.
    Photo shows bicyclists Fred J. Scherer and Walter Wiley in New York City at the start of a bicycle race from New York to San Francisco, May 3, 1913. (Source: Flickr Commons project, 2009 and New York Times, May 4, 1913)
    Forms part of: George Grantham Bain Collection (Library of Congress).

    Format: Glass negatives.

    Rights Info: No known restrictions on publication.

    Repository: Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division, Washington, D.C. 20540 USA, hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print

    General information about the Bain Collection is available at hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.ggbain

    Higher resolution image is available (Persistent URL): hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/ggbain.12653

    Call Number: LC-B2- 2651-1

    OliverGill, stAn'97, david sine, and 20 other people added this photo to their favorites.

    1. amphalon 75 months ago | reply

      Various sources seem to suggest that this is the start of a transcontinental bicycle race between New York and San Francisco.

      These two cyclists represented the Caribou Club.

      An article from the New York Times is here (dated May 4 1914): query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?_r=1&res=9807E...

      And this article records the departure of a second team:

      query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=9F03EFD8103CE6...

    2. epicharmus 75 months ago | reply

      As the article says, this is at Murray Street--specifically at Murray Street and Broadway in New York City.

      The building on the left is New York City's City Hall. (John McComb Jr. and Joseph Francois Mangin, 1813; compare to this picture.) The darker-colored building on the right is the New York World or Pulitzer Building (George B. Post, 1890). It was the tallest building in New York City from 1890 to 1894, and was demolished in 1955 to make way for new entrance ramps onto the Brooklyn Bridge.

    3. The Library of Congress 75 months ago | reply

      amphalon and epicharmus, thank you for the identifying information. We will update the source data and reload the description.

    4. quadmod 74 months ago | reply

      Correction: May 4, 1913 not 1914

    5. Barbara (LOC P&P) 74 months ago | reply

      quadmod: Thanks for clarifying the year--we'll make note of it!

    6. Wystan 56 months ago | reply

      Another Bain/LOC photo of Scherer and Wiley on May 4, 1913:

    keyboard shortcuts: previous photo next photo L view in light box F favorite < scroll film strip left > scroll film strip right ? show all shortcuts