Tea House, Kew Gardens, destroyed by suffragettes (LOC)

Bain News Service,, publisher.


Tea House, Kew Gardens, destroyed by suffragettes


[between ca. 1910 and ca. 1915]


1 negative : glass ; 5 x 7 in. or smaller.



Title from unverified data provided by the Bain News Service on the negatives or caption cards.

Forms part of: George Grantham Bain Collection (Library of Congress).


Format: Glass negatives.


Rights Info: No known restrictions on publication.


Repository: Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division, Washington, D.C. 20540 USA, hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print


General information about the Bain Collection is available at hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.ggbain


Higher resolution image is available (Persistent URL): hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/ggbain.11714


Call Number: LC-B2- 2535-3



  • Laura Moncur PRO 7y

    I believe this article from the New York Times explains what happened here:

  • Elizabeth Thomsen PRO 7y

    "'WILD WOMEN' BURN AND SMASH FOR VOTE" -- Yes, that's amazing stuff!

    How did we ever live without this kind of free access to the pre-1923 New York Times online? How many of us would ever have gone to the library and scrolled through the microfilm for this kind of thing?
  • BobMeade 7y

    Those gals rampaged elsewhere too. I'll find some references.
  • R i c h a r d PRO 7y

  • R i c h a r d PRO 7y

    7th March 1913: Suffragettes jailed for Kew Gardens blaze
    Two women were sent to jail for an arson attack which destroyed the tea pavilion at the Royal Botanic Gardens in Kew, west London.

    Lilian Lenton and Olive Wharry, Suffragettes linked to the Women's Social and Political Union, had been arrested nearby on the night of the fire.

    Found guilty, they were sentenced to 18 months imprisonment at the Old Bailey in central London.

    Both were sent to Holloway prison in north London to serve out their sentences but immediately went on hunger strike, saying that they would not eat until they were released.

    Lenton was quickly freed after she became seriously ill following an attempt by the prison authorities to force-feed her.

    After a 32-day hunger strike, which she apparently managed to keep a secret from the guards, Wharry was also released.

    Source www.london-today.net/web/events/march/7/00003218/10251353...
  • c_cinq 7y

  • swanq 7y

    A little more detail. According to londonist.com/2008/02/monday_miscella_92.php "Wednesday – 20th February 1913: Two suffragettes set fire to the tea pavilion at Kew Gardens at around 3am, destroying it completely." See also www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article657459.ece for more about Lenton, one of the suffragette arsonists
  • James Morley PRO 7y

    The Pavilion, as this building is known, was rebuilt in 1920 - see www.kew.org/places/kew/pavilion.html
  • James Morley PRO 7y

    I have finally got out to take a shot for a 'then & now' comparison. I can't be sure it's the exact same spot, and am going to look at some contemporary and modern maps to see if I can pinpoint it exactly.

    Pavilion Restaurant, Kew Gardens by whatsthatpicture
  • James Morley PRO 6y

    An early Gale & Polden postcard from a very nearby viewpoint:
    Refreshment Pavilion and Pagoda, Kew Gardens (postcard) by whatsthatpicture
  • Lú_ PRO 6y

    This photograph is part of the Indicommons.org then-and-now post Kew Gardens Revisited.

  • Janice Rowland 4y

    My father Stanley J Rowland, (born 1894) a solicitor's clerk aged 19, was sent in 1913 with a fellow junior clerk named Cowling to serve the writ on Olive Wharry at her home at Whitstone Head, Whitstone, in North Cornwall, near Bude. They cycled out to Whitstone from their employer's office in Holsworthy, about 8 miles, and were admitted by her father Dr Wharry. When they explained their business he refused to let them see his daughter and locked them in his study. After a long while they were released and told to leave, taking the writ with them. As they left one of them flung the writ on the doorstep. This was held to be effective service. Dr Wharry flew into a rage and, calling his servants, chased them off the premises. Dr Wharry was subsequently prosecuted for assaulting a process server acting in the course of his duties and stood trial at the Old Bailey in London, initially pleading Not Guilty. My father and his colleague were ordered to attend as prosecution witnesses. Neither had been east of Exeter before and it was a great adventure. When they arrived in London they were told that the case would start a day late. The only place in London they had heard of was Madam Tussaud's waxworks and so they spent the day there. In the event Dr Wharry changed his plea to Guilty and their evidence was not required. My father had never before then slept a night away from home. The writ to be served on Miss Wharry related to the arson at Kew but I do not know if it was a civil claim for damages or a criminal summons. James M Rowland
  • Arden 4y

    rowhol: Thank you for the interesting family history related to this image.
S Search
Photo navigation
< > Thumbnail navigation
Z Zoom
B Back to context