Arlington House Margate
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
< User:Simon pengelly
Arlington House, Margate is an eighteen storey residential apartment block with shop units under and around it (at ground level). Mildly interestingly, this solves the confusion caused by different floor-numbering conventions: in some, the ground floor is numbered "1" against the UK convention that "1" refers to the floor above the ground floor. The Southern part of the plot of land currently has a two-storey car park built on it with a ramp access to the residents' car park.
As recorded on marble tiles on the walls of the main entrance to the building, Arlington House was designed by Architects Russell Diplock Associates and constructed by Bernard Sunley & Sons. The inscription state that the owners are Bernard Sunley Investment Trust - the legal registered lease, however, quotes Bernard Sunley Investments (Margate) limited.
The site on which it was built in 1963 is land that, until the early 19th century was a salt marsh. A sea wall was built in 1809, causing the land to be reclaimed. A Southern Railway Company terminal railway station was built in 1846 which operated until 1926 in conjunction with a second terminus to the West (neither to be confused with the railway station built to the immediate East which never received approval by parliament).
Full info Here en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Simon_pengelly/Arlington_House...
Keep up to date with the development of this site here arlingtonmargate.com/