new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
8801 George Weikert Farm | by lcm1863
Back to photostream

8801 George Weikert Farm

United States Avenue

Gettysburg National Military Park

 

------------------------------------------------------------------

George Weikert Farm

  

1. House

 

This lovely stone farmhouse stands on US Avenue where it intersects with Hancock / Sedgwick Ave.

 

Built in 1798 and used as a Union field hospital, this house is a two story granite building on a granite foundation. It has vertical board and batten on the gable ends. In 1863, the house was a one-story, two-bay stone house. In the later nineteenth century, it was modified to the current two-story. The gable roof is covered with wood shingles.

 

It was located just in front of the main Union battle line throughout most of the battle (July 2-5), which limited its usefulness for hospital purposes. It was most likely used for shelter and concealment by Union skirmishers engaged with Confederate skirmishers near the Trostle buildings and Plum Run on July 2-4. After the battle, the house was used for hospital purposes (66th NY Vols.). The interior of the house was altered in configuration of rooms and most fabric (1940s-1950s) for use as ranger station and rental housing

Currently used for Park Service staff housing.

 

2. Barn

 

Barn (1798) is a one-story double pen log barn (one of 3 still existing in the park) encased in vertical boards on a stone foundation. The barn measures 31.5 x 50.5 feet. It has a 10.4 x 30.8 foot lean-to on the west side. The gable roof is covered with wood shingles.

 

The barn was located just in front of the main Union battle line throughout most of the battle (July 2-5), which made its use for hospital purposes limited. It was most likely used for shelter and concealment by Union skirmishers engaged with Confederate skirmishers near the Trostle buildings and Plum Run on July 2-4. Minor interior modification occurred to convert a portion of the barn to stable and office purposes in the 1960s.

 

3. Summer Kitchen

 

Only log plank summer kitchen extant in park. Part of George Wiekert farm complex which was occupied by Union troops during the 3 day battle. Architecturally distinctive as oldest remaining log plank summer kitchen. One-story, log building on a stone foundation that measures 16.5 x 16.0 feet. It is constructed in a "V" notch, rare oversplay of roof supported by a plank log wall extension and connected to a "L" log bracket. The gable roof is covered with wood shingle.

  

4. Carriage House and Corn Crib

 

1-Story Carriage house/corn crib , constructed c. 1890.

  

Info found on NPS web site.

 

1,421 views
0 faves
2 comments
Taken on September 15, 2010