new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
Landing over the City....Docklands | by Mark Winterbourne | markwinterbourne.com
Back to group

Landing over the City....Docklands

This British Airways Aircraft is landing over the O2 Arena next to the Thames.

 

As many of you will have seen in my photostream, I am an aircraft "Nut" and love all things aviation...So I didnt need an excuse to take these "extra" images from our trip to the City.

 

The aircraft land very close to buildings and this makes for very interesting landing images.

 

London City Airport (IATA: LCY, ICAO: EGLC) is a single-runway airport. It principally serves the financial district of London and is located on a former Docklands site, 6 NM (11 km; 6.9 mi)[1] east of the City of London, opposite the London Regatta Centre, in the London Borough of Newham in east London. It was developed by the engineering company Mowlem in 1986/87. In 2010 London City was the fifth busiest airport in terms of passengers and aircraft movements serving the London area after Heathrow, Gatwick, Stansted and Luton and the 14th busiest in the UK.[2]

 

London City Airport has a CAA Public Use Aerodrome Licence (Number P728) that allows flights for the public transport of passengers or for flight training. Only multi-engine, fixed-wing aircraft with special aircraft and aircrew certification to fly 5.5 degree approaches are allowed to conduct operations at London City Airport.[3]

 

The airport has produced a master plan outlining their vision for growth up to 2030. The plan shows an expansion of the airport to a maximum capacity of 8 million passengers per annum, without the addition of a second runway, or significant expansion of the airport boundaries.[4]

 

London City Airport was purchased from the Irish businessman Dermot Desmond, in October 2006 by a consortium comprising AIG Financial Products Corp. and Global Infrastructure Partners (GIP). In the final quarter of 2008 GIP increased its stake in the airport to 75%, the remaining 25% belongs to Highstar Capital.[5] In 2010, London City Airport served nearly 2.8 million passengers, a 0.6% reduction compared with 2009.[2]

1,496 views
2 faves
1 comment
Taken on September 30, 2011