Mom's sped up demo
"Because you were filming. Normally, I would have taken my time."
- My mum divides up the pineapple filling the night before, so that "each tart will be the same size". (you can see the divi-ed pile at the end).
- Much of the dough stay in the fridge because the butter in the dough melts in our weather. Small chunks are taken out each time to work on.
- My mum flattens each piece of dough with a rolling pin, so that "each tart will be wrapped consistently". I'm telling you this because I know for a fact that the rest of the mortal world would have just used their hands.
- My mum leaves the baking tray in the fridge so that it stays cold before use, like freezing glass mugs for beer.
- We put the tarts back into the fridge before putting the egg wash on so that it will harden a little and the crimped ridges won't break when we apply the egg wash. No lie.
I timed it. Each piece takes at least a minute to make by hand (excluding the time in the oven).