SPITFIRE Mk1A AR213 JZ-E (G-AIST)
seen just before an engine run at the IWM Duxford
Built by Westland at Yeovil and delivered to 12 MU on July 24th 1941.
To 57 OTU on July 31st and transferred to 53 OTU on February 20th 1943.
To 8 MU for storage on August 17th 1944 until struck off charge on November 30th 1945.
AR213 was never used in a combat role and only served with Operational Training Units but did suffer at the hands of fledgling pilots.
Sold to Gp Capt. Allen Wheeler (who originally intended racing AR213 but this never happened instead he raced AB910 now with the BBMF) on March 10th 1947 and registered G-AIST but stored until 1967 when it was brought to flying condition for 'The Battle of Britain' film.
Then flown by Allen Wheeler at Wycombe Air Park for several years before being sold to The Hon Patrick Lindsay in 1978.
Following Lindsay's death on January 9th 1986, AR213 was sold in April 1989 to Victor Gauntlett, and Peter Livanos at PPS at Booker.
AR213’s flying permit expired in 2002 and it was decided to completely rebuild AR213 to give it another 20 years of airworthy life.
Underwent an intensive and costly restoration by Personal Plane Services (PPS) to bring the aircraft as close to its original build as possible. First post-restoration flight was on 12th November 2007 from Booker, High Wycombe, still in primer and awaiting a new paint scheme.
Repainted in authentic 57 OTU colours, coded JZ-E.
This was the colour scheme when Flt Lt James Harry 'Ginger' Lacey, who had shot down more enemy aircraft than anyone else during the Battle of Britain, was posted to 57 OTU for a rest as an instructor and flew AR213 as his personal aircraft and which was coded JZ-E.
Sold by Sheringham Aviation in 2011 to 'Spitfire The One Ltd', and currently residing at the IWM Duxford.