The Huey P. Long Bridge getting remodeled
Best: View On Black
This bridge spans the Mississippi River a short distance upriver from New Orleans (Hwy 90) and first opened in December 1935. It was named for the popular governor, Huey P. Long. He was assassinated in September of that same year. Originally planned as a railroad bridge but car lanes were added. Now, additional lanes are being added to this complex bridge. The majority of the bridge took about three years to build but actually the initial pilings were started in 1925. This is a late afternoon HDR image taken in September.