Gilmour and Hughson Forestry / Société d’exploitation forestière Gilmour and Hughson
Allan Gilmour (1775–1849) was a senior partner in the firm of Pollok, Gilmour & Co. from which numerous co-partnerships and offshoots evolved, and played a prominent part in the Scottish and Canadian lumber and shipbuilding businesses. Allan Gilmour's brothers and nephews opened numerous branches in Canada—at Miramichi, Quebec, Montréal and elsewhere. The Bytown operation began after the opening of a Montréal partnership in 1828, which dealt in supplies for the square timber trade on the Ottawa River. In 1841, his nephew Allan Gilmour Jr. took over this operation with James Gilmour, named it Gilmour & Co., and opened the Bytown branch to procure timber and sawn lumber for the Quebec market. Eventually, lumber operations grew significantly.

In the 1870s, the branches at Miramichi, Quebec and Montréal closed, leaving the Ottawa lumber operation in the control of John Gilmour’s sons. In 1891, the company Gilmour & Hughson was formed by John Gilmour Jr. and Ward Hughson, an Albany lumberman. In 1895, the concern was incorporated (58-59 Vic., Cap. 89). In the mid-1920s, it was announced that Gilmour & Hughson Ltd. was being sold to the firm of Riordon & Co. However, Riordon & Co. went into bankruptcy and the properties owned by Gilmour & Hughson and its operations were taken over by the Gatineau Company Limited, a subsidiary of the Canadian International Paper Co.

The photographs document vital economic activity in Canada. Researchers will find basic information on the state of the virgin boreal forests of the Ottawa and Outaouais regions. They are rare and offer an unparalleled view of the development of the forestry industry. They afford detailed images of the construction of mills, their operations and the development of communities including Indian (First Nation) reserves and
or camps in the Maniwaki region. Many names of lakes, rivers and villages in this archival collection will be familiar to the inhabitants of the Outaouais region today, including Desert Lake, Ignace River, Maniwaki, and Chelsea Falls. Other names may have been forgotten, including Ironside, Petewagama, and Barrière Trading Post. Material in the fonds also deals with the confluence of the River Désert and the Gatineau river, and the surrounding area. The First Nations reserve of Kitigan Zibi (River Désert) was formerly known as Maniwaki 18. It is a First Nations reserve of the Kitigan Zibi Anishinabeg First Nation, an Algonquin band.

See also :

Discover the Collection: Exploration and Settlement

Discover the Collection: Photography

-----

Allan Gilmour (1775–1849) était un associé principal au sein de l’entreprise Pollok, Gilmour and Co., dont sont issus bon nombre de partenariats et de filiales. Il a joué un rôle de premier plan dans les industries canado-écossaises de la construction navale et du bois. Ses frères et neveux ont ouvert de nombreuses filiales au Canada : à Miramichi, à Québec, à Montréal et ailleurs. Les activités à Bytown (Ottawa) commencent après l’établissement d’un partenariat à Montréal, en 1828, pour approvisionner le commerce de bois équarri sur la rivière des Outaouais. En 1841, son neveu Allan Gilmour fils prend la direction de cette entreprise avec James Gilmour, nomme la société Gilmour and Co., et ouvre la filiale de Bytown afin de fournir du bois de charpente et du bois de sciage au marché québécois. Avec le temps, la production de bois augmente considérablement.

Dans les années 1870, les filiales de Miramichi, de Québec et de Montréal ferment leurs portes, laissant le contrôle des activités forestières à Ottawa aux fils de John Gilmour. En 1891, John Gilmour fils s’associe à Ward Hughson, un bûcheron d’Albany, pour créer la compagnie Gilmour and Hughson, laquelle sera constituée en société en 1895 (58-59 Vic., Cap. 89). Au milieu des années 1920, on annonce la vente de l’entreprise à Riordon and Co., mais à la suite de la faillite de cette dernière, les propriétés et terrains de Gilmour and Hughson, de même que ses activités, passent aux mains de la Gatineau Company Limited, une filiale de la Canadian International Paper Co.

Les photographies documentent une activité qui fut vitale pour l¿économie canadienne. Les chercheurs y trouveront des renseignements généraux sur l’état de la forêt boréale vierge des régions d’Ottawa et de l’Outaouais. Ces photographies rares offrent un aperçu inédit du développement de l’industrie forestière. Elles illustrent en détail la construction de scieries, leurs activités et le développement de collectivités, dont des réserves des Premières Nations et des camps dans la région de Maniwaki. Bon nombre des noms de lac, de rivière et de village mentionnés dans cette collection archivistique seront connus des habitants actuels de l’Outaouais : le lac Désert, la rivière Ignace, Maniwaki et les chutes Chelsea. D’autres noms sont peut-être tombés dans l’oubli, comme Ironside, le lac Petewagama et le poste de traite Barrière. Des documents du fonds traitent également du confluent des rivières Désert et Gatineau ainsi que de la région environnante. La réserve autochtone de Kitigan Zibi (rivière Désert), autrefois appelée Maniwaki 18, est la réserve de la nation algonquine des Kitigan Zibi Anishinabeg.

Voir aussi :

Découvrez la collection : Exploration et colonisation

Découvrez la collection : Photographie
72 photos · 369 views