Homemade Macaroni and Cheese
I haven't eaten the powdered boxed stuff since I was in college. The homemade version is really easy and tastes so much better!
Baked Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
1) Cook and drain an 8 ounce box of elbow macaroni. Pour the cooked noodles into a large casserole dish that has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
2) In a large saucepan, melt 2 Tablespoons of butter. Mix in 2 Tablespoons of cornstarch, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon dried mustard and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Let it cook for just a couple minutes, then stir in 2 cups of milk.
3) Stirring constantly, bring the milk mixture slowly to a boil over medium heat. Let it gently boil for a few minutes until it's thick and creamy.
4) Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in 12 ounces of grated sharp cheddar (you can use many different kinds of cheese - lots of times I'll use multiple types of cheese in one batch) Once the cheese and white sauce are evenly mixed, pour the sauce over the macaroni. Stir it, so everything is evenly dispersed. Set aside.
5) In a small saucepan, melt 2-4 Tablespoons of butter. Once it's melted, stir in a few tablespoons of seasoned dry breadcrumbs. It should form a crumbly texture.
6) Sprinkle the buttered breadcrumbs over the top of the casserole and bake it (uncovered) at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.