Sketchs in Unhyeongung
This is the house in which King Gojong, the 26th king of Joseon, lived before he acceded to the throne.
It was owned by Heungseon Daewongun Yi Haeung, the father of Gojong.
While staying at this house, Heungseon Daewongun ruled over the country for about 10 years, after taking control of state affairs in place of his son.
Unhyeongung was so named after a pass where Seoungwan was situated. In 1864, Norakdang and Noandan were built, and in 1869, Inrodang and Yeongnodang(Seoul Folklore Material No.19) were erected.
To facilitate going in and out of Changdeokgung, Gyeonggeumum and Gonggeunmun were built exclysively for Gojong and Heungseon Daewongun, respectively.
But they do not reamain today. In 1912, Yanggwan was built to greet guests.
Noandang was where Heungseon Daewongun discussed state affairs. Norakdang and Inrodang were used as the Anchae(inner quaters) and the Byeolchae(outbuilding), respectively.
Considering the size, formality and the ground plan, Unhyeongung is similar to an inner palace rather than the house of a high ranking official.
Following the death of Heungseon Daewongun, the house was inherited by his eldest son Yi Haemyeon and then his grandson Yi junyong after.
Following the Korean War, however, a considerable part of the house was sold, and therefore the size of the house was considerably reduced.
Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism
Korean Culture and Information Service