Charles Square, Praha | Prague | Prag
part of gardens in Czechia

One of the largest squares in the world and the largest town square of medieval Europe, Charles Square (Karlovo náměstí) was founded in 1348 as the main square of Pragues New Town by Charles IV. It was a fish and cattle market from the 15th century. The central portion of the square was turned into a park in the 1860s.
From that time many old are still growing there (planes, lindens, oaks, chestnuts,….):
“Earl Charles Chotek is credited for improving the appearance of a muddy area, preserving its integrity and the first tree planting. In 1876, works on the square landscaping in the English style were completed according to the architect Frederick Wünscher’s design. The work was led by the top Czech gardener Josef Fiala. In the years between 1884 and 1885 the plan of František Thomayer, a new director of the Prague gardens and parks, was implemented. He architecturally united both parts of the square and planted the outer alley while using particularly resistant sophora japonica, silver maple, bur oak and London plane…..A monumental plane in the central part of the park is the oldest and supposedly comes from the previous arrangement by the architect Wünscher.”
Source: www.prague.eu/en/object/places/201/charles-square-karlovo...

Where: in the New Town of Prague, Czech Republic
Info english en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Square
Info german de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karlsplatz_(Prag)
Info czech cs.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karlovo_n%C3%A1m%C4%9Bst%C3%AD_(Praha)
13 photos · 7 views