Historic St. Cloud, Florida
In 1909 investors from Washington, D.C. purchased the former 36,000-acre Disston Sugar Manufacturing Company on the East shore of Lake Tohopekaliga.
The new town of St. Cloud was laid out in Washington and advertised to Union Civil War veterans. Lots were sold for $50 and included a free five-acre tract. As veterans arrived in town, they were given a tent by the War Department, set up camp and built their dream home.
By 1910, the population had grown to 2000 people. The main street in town was Pennsylvania but a 1917 fire destroyed most of the business district. Most offices rebuilt on New York Avenue after the fire.