Gate of St. George
The Gate of St. George is leading to the harbour of Corfu, and is part of the Palace of St. Michael and
St. George. It was built entirely in Maltese stone after plans designed by Sir George Whitmore in the Gregorian style, and shows a clear influence of the British neoclassical architects of the 19th century.
It was built between 1819 and 1824, when Sir Thomas Maitland served as the first British High Commissioner of the Ionian Islands.