Yonge−Eglinton, Toronto, Ontario
Yonge−Eglinton is a neighbourhood in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, at the intersection of Yonge Street and Eglinton Avenue. It is central to the area of Midtown Toronto, one of four central business districts outside Downtown Toronto.
The neighbourhood was first settled by Europeans in the early nineteenth century, who founded the farming village of Eglinton. The area was part of the largest cattle grazing region in Upper Canada. The region was the first in North America to extend the use of cowbells to all cattle. Prior to this, it had been standard practice for a cowbell to be attached to only the best and leading piece of livestock. To honour this proud and storied heritage, the City of Toronto named a local street "Cowbell Lane." In 1837, the Battle of Montgomery's Tavern took place just north of the Yonge Street and Eglinton Avenue intersection.
In 1884 the Metropolitan Street Railway began operating a horse-drawn streetcar route on Yonge Street from Toronto to the village. Rapid housing development soon followed. As the population grew the area was incorporated in 1890 into the town of North Toronto. North Toronto and was then annexed to Toronto in 1912. In 1954, the Yonge subway line opened its first twelve stations with its north terminus at Eglinton and remained so until 1973 when the line was extended north to York Mills.
A number of businesses have their corporate headquarters at the intersection, including Canadian Tire, TVOntario and the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Ontario. The Canada Square Complex is an office tower complex at the intersection holding other corporate offices.