Old McLean House, Elora, Ontario
The Old McLean House is located at 17 Henderson Street, on the south side of the street, just east of Victoria Crescent, in the former Town of Elora, now the Township of Centre Wellington. This one-and-a half-storey stone building was designed in the Ontario vernacular and was constructed in 1858.
The property was designated, for its historic or architectural significance, by the Township of Centre Wellington, under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act (By-law 00-60).
The Old McLean House is significant for its association with Reverend John MacGregor, the Headmaster of the Elora Grammar School, from 1853 to 1871. The home was built for him, in 1858, in the Ontario vernacular.
Following MacGregor's ownership, the home passed on to Henry Clark, who served as Elora's Clerk for a number of years. Next, the McLean sisters, for whom the home is named, owned the house until it was sold in 1975. The sisters were staunch members of the Elora Horticultural society, and well known throughout the community.
The Old McLean House was constructed of split fieldstone in the Ontario vernacular. The structure is characterized by roughly squared quoins, opening corners and lintel voussoirs. There is a round headed window in the central front gable, and the other windows are original wood double-hung sash, with storm windows.