Capitol Theatre, Melbourne, Vic
Located at 113 Swanston Street, Melbourne, Victoria. The Capitol Theatre was opened on 7th November 1924. Designed in an Art Deco style (well before Art Deco even became a style) by architect Walter Burley Griffin. The seating capacity was 2,137 in stalls and circle.
It was altered in 1965, when the former orchestra stalls area became a shopping mall, and the former balcony was extended forward to create a 791 seat cinema, which was closed in 1997.
The cinema was taken over by the RMIT University, to be used as a lecture theatre. The shopping centre downstairs has never been a great success.