The elaborate Iglesia La Compañía has an extraordinary zigzagging sillar stone doorway. The original church, built in 1573, was destroyed eleven years later, also by an earthquake. The present structure was completed in 1660, when the magnificently sculpted doorway, with a locally inspired mestizo-Baroque relief, was curiously crafted in two dimensions, using shadow only to outline the figures of the frieze. Inside, by the main altar hangs a Virgin and Child by Bernardo Bitto, which arrived from Italy in 1575. In what used to be the sacristy (now the Chapel of San Ignacio), the polychrome cupola depicts jungle imagery alongside warriors, angels and the Evangelists.