Considered the holiest in Sikkim, the beautiful gompa of Tashiding occupies the point of a conical hill 19km southeast of Yoksum. "The Devoted Central Glory" was built in 1717, after a rainbow was seen to connect the site to Kanchenjunga
A wide path leaves the main road near an impressive mani wall (painted green and inscribed in silver paint with the mantra Om mani padme hum: "Hail the jewel in the lotus") and leads steeply past rustic houses and fields up to the monastery compound.
The large complex consists of a motley collection of buildings, chortens, chapels and the unassuming main temple itself, which was recently rebuilt using some of the features and wooden beams of the original.
At the far end of the temple complex, surrounded by numerous multi-coloured mani stones inscribed with a mantra, is an impressive array of chortens containing relics of Sikkim's chogyals and lamas.