new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
Monadnock Mountain House in Jaffrey, New Hampshire | by Keene and Cheshire County (NH) Historical Photos
Back to album

Monadnock Mountain House in Jaffrey, New Hampshire

TITLE

Monadnock Mountain House in Jaffrey, New Hampshire

 

CREATOR

French, J.A., Keene NH

 

SUBJECT

Buildings - NH

Monadnock, Mount (N.H.)

Hotels - NH

 

DESCRIPTION

Photograph of the Mountain House, also called the Halfway House, half way up Mount Monadnock, located in Cheshire County, New Hampshire. The original Mountain House was built in 1858 . In 1861, a two story house was added to the original stone structure by Moses Cudworth of Rindge NH. He also built a wagon shed and would stable the horses of people who rode up and then hiked the rest of the way.

George and Abbie Rice acquired the site in 1866 and opened a much larger 3 story hotel, which burned down that year. New owners in 1868 built a two story building. After several more ownership changes, another owner changed the name to Half Way House in 1916. It was bought by a local association in 1945 and operated as a public property until it burned to the ground in 1954.

 

PUBLISHER

Keene Public Library and the Historical Society of Cheshire County

 

DATE DIGITAL

20100120

 

DATE ORIGINAL

1870-1890?

 

RESOURCE TYPE

photographs

 

FORMAT

image/jpg

 

RESOURCE IDENTIFIER

HS396-P4423

 

RIGHTS MANAGEMENT

No known copyright restrictions.

4,673 views
1 fave
1 comment
Taken on January 20, 2010