new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
Central Square (North Side) of Keene NH | by Keene and Cheshire County (NH) Historical Photos
Back to photostream

Central Square (North Side) of Keene NH

TITLE

Central Square (North Side) of Keene NH

 

CREATOR

Keene Camera Club

 

SUBJECT

Buildings - NH - Keene

Business districts - NH - Keene

Town squares

 

DESCRIPTION

Photography of the Central Square (North Side) in Keene New Hampshire around 1867. The small oak tree in the left foreground was planted by Eliaphalet Hale from an acorn.

"After the meetinghouse was removed in 1828 from the Common north to about where it stands today, the area was crossed in every direction by roads. Several citizens urged that the site be developed as a park, but sometime passed before this could be accomplished. The last regimental review was held there in 1850. In 1851 some trees were planted and the area enclosed with a fence. In 1856, stone posts were set and gravel walks laid out."

 

PUBLISHER

Keene Public Library

 

DATE DIGITAL

20080502

 

DATE ORIGINAL

1870

 

RESOURCE TYPE

photographs

 

FORMAT

image/jpg

 

RESOURCE IDENTIFIER

hsykkpc001

 

RIGHTS MANAGMENT

No known restriction on publication.

2,258 views
0 faves
0 comments
Taken on June 23, 2008