Shipdham Church, Norfolk
All Saints, Shipdham is a rather interesting church. It clearly has Norman origins and lots of later developments, finally having been "tidied up" by the Victorians. On top of the originally 13th century tower there is a two-tier, 17th century cupola of wood covered with lead. There is a nave (totally Victorianised) and a north aisle which still has it's early roof beams. Strangely the church has two fonts: it's own 14th century one and a Norman font rescued from Ovington which they now use in preference to their own. It is a small delight.
Shipdham is also interesting because it was clearly quite prosperous in medieval, Tudor and Stuart times. Hence the surprisingly imposing church with a neat walled, picture-book churchyard. The village also had its own brickworks for several hundred years up until around 1820. So as well as the ubiquitous Norfolk flint there are still a number of examples of the local small, pale red bricks as can be seen in the church wall above.