Calm before the Storm
The Finnieston Crane (whose official name is the Stobcross Crane) was built for the Clyde Navigation Trust by Cowans, Sheldon & Co. of Carlisle, to replace the Trust's old steam-powered crane at Finnieston Quay. Work on the crane, which had a lifting capacity of 175 tons (178 tonnes), was completed in 1932. The crane was used to lift boilers and engines into new ships, and to load heavy goods such as locomotives and tanks. It is a well-known Glasgow landmark.